He's been compared to both James Dean and Brad Pitt, but Callum Keith Rennie is his own man, plain and simple. The Edmonton-raised actor has worked with nearly every Canadian director of note, from Bruce McDonald (Hard Core Logo) to David Cronenberg (eXistenZ), though he's probably best recognized for his role opposite Paul Gross on the Mountie-out-of-water dramedy Due South.
Rennie popped up on screen twice during last week's Local Heroes International Film Festival, appearing in Memento and co-starring with Molly Parker in Lynne Stopkewich's Suspicious River. We grabbed Rennie for a minute and subjected him to our 20 questions.
1. What was the last movie that you saw and loved?
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2. What was the first album you owned?
The Beatles' Revolver.
3. What was the last book you read?
4. What's your favourite hangout?
5. Do you have a pet peeve?
6. What's your idea of the perfect Sunday?
7. What's your favourite junk food?
8. What was the worst job you ever had?
9. What gadget or gizmo can you not live without?
Leatherman tool (Multipurpose tool: "One tool, a couple thousand uses").
10. Do you have a hobby or habit that you think would surprise people?
How would I know?
11. What's your favourite piece of clothing?
Ironhead hockey hat.
12. What would you change about yourself if you could?
Everything and nothing.
13. Whom do you most admire?
14. What is your greatest extravagance?
15. Have you ever been mistaken for another celebrity?
(Da Vinci's Inquest star) Ian Tracey.
16. Do you have a favourite quotation? If so, please share it.
"The punishment of the fool who pursues the better before securing the good."
17. What is your greatest weakness?
18. If you were reincarnated, who or what would you be?
19. If you had to go back in time to live in another decade, which one would you choose?
20. Is there a Canadian filmmaker or actor you've always wanted to work with but haven't?
Gary Burns, Sarah Polley, William Shatner.